Home My Etsy Shop

Friday, November 21, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness Bracelets


A few months ago, I decided to make some pink jewelry in memory of my friend Marilyn, who passed away from breast cancer a couple years ago. I listed it in my etsy shop, Prized Possessions, stating that I would donate $10 from each bracelet and $5 from each pair of earrings to Susan G. Komen. This bracelet above was my first bracelet.
My bracelet had only been listed on etsy a few days when a very nice lady bought it. She asked if I could send it priority mail because her cousin had just passed away from breast cancer and she wanted to wear it to the memorial service. I left work early so I could get to the post office before it closed and she got the bracelet in time. I made my $10 donation to Susan G. Komen in memory of her cousin and I was very happy about that.
Not too long later, my same customer wanted another bracelet like hers for her cousin's sister. Unfortunately, I could not find any more of the small pink beads I had used in the first bracelet. I made the second and third styles pictured here and let her pick which she liked best. She liked the bracelet above, which was similar to hers. Shortly after that, she wanted three more. This one customer bought five bracelets from me, enabling me to donate $50 to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

At my open house Sunday, I had one more bracelet left. A friend of mine bought it for her friend who was just finishing up her chemo. I sent my check to Susan G. Komen this week in honor of her friend.

I am all out of breast cancer awareness bracelets now, but I have lots of pink beads. I will make more soon. I am very happy that I have been able to donate $60 to Susan G. Komen! And there was an unexpected benefit from this, too. My first customer mentioned to me how much she liked her bracelet and that it gave her comfort in remembering her cousin. I had never anticipated the aspect of offering comfort to someone who lost a loved one. My main goal had been to raise money for Susan G. Komen. But this second benefit is just as great as the donations.

Writing about this has made me realize that I need to make more bracelets SOON! Won't you please help spread the word that my etsy shop is making donations to help fight breast cancer with the sale of these bracelets?

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Sorry I cannot find your name...

    No matter, thank you for your advice!

    Also, I want to say I really appreciate people that may help another people not only by words but money too.

    I'm glad to getting know you! Take care, and good luck in all your business!

    I also put link to your blog in my blogroll, I think people have to know everyone like you.

    Meggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Do you want to exchange link with my blog? I have already put your link on mine.

    URL: http://www.newaccessories.blogspot.com

    Contact e-mail: newbeadedjewelry@gmail.com

    If you like to exchange link, please put this title on your blog:
    Beaded Jewelry


    Thanks for cooperation
    Bili

    ReplyDelete