Home My Etsy Shop

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

More Vintage Christmas Ornament Wreaths

Have you been as busy as I've been these last few days? Or maybe (hopefully) you're a lot more organized than I am and get your Christmas shopping done early. One of these years I will strive to have all my shopping done the first week of December! I spent hours on Sunday doing some shopping, Monday I finished my out-of-town shopping, wrapped gifts and got the out of town ones ready to mail, and tonight I finished wrapping some straggler out-of-town gifts and have the last ones ready to mail. All my shopping is done except for finishing what I need to do for my husband and son. Oh, and I get to buy some new clothes for Christmas. Since I lost 25 pounds over the last 3 years, I'm still updating my wardrobe to include more clothes that fit rather than hang (nice problem to have) and my Coldwater Creek coupon expires 12/18! So I still have some shopping to do for myself!

Another vintage ornament wreath #1


I had a day off work last Friday so I decided to go to a nearby antique mall and see what kinds of vintage ornaments I could find. Although it started out slowly (due to the more expensive booths at the front of the mall charging higher prices - I'm not going to pay $4 or more for one solid colored glass ball!), I ended up buying a lot of ornaments. My starting rule of thumb was to spend as much under $1 per ornament as possible. I came across a booth that had whole boxes of solid color ornaments for $3/box. I bought five boxes, four having a dozen balls and one box with six larger balls. These were a great deal! All my solid ornaments were under $1. Then I bought some "pretty" ornaments, the ones with designs or patterns or multi-color or different shapes, for $2 each or less.

Another vintage ornament wreath #2

Saturday night, I went to work on two more wreaths, whose photos appear above. (Click on the photo if you'd like to see an enlarged image and more detail.) I got all the ornaments glued on. I'm getting much more comfortable with how ugly the wreaths look at the start. I'm no longer worried and it's easy to just zip along and put them together. I followed the same steps as I did for my previous vintage ornament wreath, as well as my practice wreath. Sunday morning, I glued on the bells, garland and beads.

One tip to point out if you want to try this...once I got the outside and inner rings of ornaments glued on, when I worked on the top layer, I would find a combination of 2 or 3 ornaments that worked well together, then go back and glue them down. I never just picked up an ornament and glued it on. I wanted to know how an ornament was going to fit in with others around it first.

These two wreaths used 57 and 59 ornaments. So while you need about 60 ornaments to make a 12-inch wreath like one of these, it does depend on the size of the ornaments. And I would recommend having more than 60 ornaments available to choose from. You would have to have 60 ornaments that fit together perfectly to start with only 60 ornaments. Because I would try out various combinations of 2-3 ornaments before gluing down, it was very helpful to have a variety of shapes and sizes to choose from to see what fit together best in the next space I had to fill.

One more tip when looking for ornaments...if you find one with a crack or even a broken side, if it's not a terribly large problem, you can always glue that bad side down...it won't be seen anyway.

If you decide to make one of these wreaths, I'd love to see it! Post a photo on Flickr or your blog and leave a comment with the link here. And if I can answer any questions about making a wreath, please don't hesitate to ask. Again, just put it in a comment. Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hi - These wreaths are gorgeous! If I get ambitious, I might try to make one for next year.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete