Home My Etsy Shop

Friday, June 5, 2009

Memphis

No, I haven't disappeared. Summer baseball season has started. Baseball takes up quite a bit of my time in the summer and I'm going to have to make a much better effort to keep up with my posts. My son, Joe, will be a senior in high school next year. He plays on a competitive travel baseball team and the season got started last weekend. This post digresses a bit from my craft theme, but I thought I'd show some pictures of why I haven't been posting much lately.

Last Thursday (5/28) we left for Memphis, which is about an 8-hour drive from Kansas City. We went through St. Louis to drive past a few colleges on the way to and in St. Louis, then headed south to Memphis. Our first baseball game wasn't until 8:30 Friday night. The boys had to be there earlier to practice and watch the 16U team play. (Joe is on an 18U team. The baseball academy that sponsors and coaches his team also has a 16U team.) So my husband and I had all day to be tourists in Memphis, as well as quite a bit of free time on Saturday. We'd never been to Memphis before and were nicely surprised that there was so much to do. But being the home of rock and roll and the blues, I guess that's not surprising. I thought I'd show you some photos of things we saw in Memphis.

Elvis statueOur first stop was the tourist info place on the Mississippi River. Elvis greeted us at the door. Who says Elvis is dead!

Beale StreetBeale Street is where the blues got started. In about two blocks of the street there are many blues clubs and restaurants. Here is a picture of Beale Street. (Click to enlarge.)

Beale StreetKansas City has great bar-b-q. We heard that the bar-b-q in Memphis was different, but good, so we had to try it. We had lunch at the Blues City Cafe, which is at the left of this picture. We split some Cajun BBQ shrimp and a slab of ribs. They were very good! And although I don't eat desserts very often, I couldn't pass up the apple dumpling with vanilla ice cream. The dumpling was heated in a little cast iron skillet and was wonderful!

Pink CadillacWhen I was very little, my mom and dad had a pink Cadillac. I don't remember it but I remember pictures of it. I had to take a picture of this car in the back room of the Blues City Cafe.

Love Peace and Chicken GreaseThere were many interesting places along Beale Street. I had to take a picture of this sign.

Streetcar
After lunch, we went through the Rock and Soul Museum, which is part of the Smithsonian. It was very interesting. Then we rode a streetcar back to where we parked our car.

Bridge over the MississippiThe big bridge in the background is the bridge which crosses the Mississippi into Arkansas. The bridge in the front is the pedestrian bridge to Mud Island, which also has a monorail underneath.

Mississippi River replica on Mud IslandSaturday we visited Mud Island, which has a Mississippi River Museum and this half mile replica of the river, complete with maps of the cities along the river.

After a couple games on Saturday and one on Sunday, we headed home Sunday evening. For the first time the team has played together this year, they did very well, winning 3 of 4 games. And it was nice of the coach to pick a place to go which had entertainment while we weren't playing!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like an exciting place to visit, as there is so much diversity and culture shown in these pictures. Glad you had a wonderful time, and thanks for the share on the experience and pictures. We appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete