Home My Etsy Shop

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Update on Tee Shirt Quilt

I spent quite a bit of time in the last week redrawing all my quilt pieces to cut down on the overall size of the quilt. I started over arranging all my little quilt pieces on graph paper, not leaving so much space between blocks this time. I finally got all the pieces rearranged so that I reduced the length by about a foot (previously it was over 7 feet long) and the width by a few inches. Here is my new arrangement of blocks. I first redid the "A" in the center and fit in all the pieces around it again.
New quilt layout
Once I had all my pieces nicely arranged on graph paper and knew exactly how big each quilt block had to be, I cut each block to its exact size, adding an inch to each dimension for seam allowances. (I had cut the blocks out very roughly after I had applied the interfacing.) Quilt square
Here's a picture with all the blocks cut to their exact size.
All blocks cut to size
This evening, I got to start the fun part...actually sewing the blocks togther. I sewed them with a half inch seam allowance, then trimmed to a quarter inch. I don't know why, it just seems a little easier to sew the half inch seam. I've done the easy sewing - the blocks that adjoin each other that are exactly the same size. Now it's kind of like doing a puzzle - trying to figure out what order to sew my pieces together to allow for the fact that I don't just have a bunch of squares lined up. But I'll get back to that tomorrow. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment