1 week ago
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Halloween Floral Arrangement
Oh, my! Too much overtime at work has taken a toll on my blogging! I thought I would have more time when summer baseball season ended, but I guess I was wrong. I'm going to have to make a real effort to change that!
I've temporarily put my quilt on hold so I can complete some Halloween projects. I listed some of my favorite Halloween links not too long ago and hopefully I will be showing other of my completed Halloween projects soon. Meanwhile, here is my first one - my Halloween floral arrangement.
I bought three floral stems of roses at Michael's. It's hard to see in the photo, but one of them is black and glittery, while the other two are plain black roses. I bought this little glass container at Michael's, too. I cut down a block of green floral foam to be somewhat smaller than the container, covered it with some spaghnum moss I had in my closet, back from when I used to do more floral arranging. I cut some green floral wire, bent it into U shapes and used those to keep the moss in place around the four sides of the foam. Then I put the moss-covered foam into the container. I cut down the floral stems to the right length since they were longer than I wanted. I poked them into the floral foam and bent the individual stems into an arrangement that I liked. I had some of that spider web stuff that I put on top of the foam and arranged to hang over the sides and also put some over the flowers themselves. I read somewhere online that this stuff looks better when you take the time to spread it out rather thinly - looks more realistic. I did that on the flowers, but I think I will problably go back and thin out the webs at the top of the container some.
This was quick to make and was kind of fun. A perfectly ghoulish arrangement for Halloween!