Home My Etsy Shop

Saturday, June 19, 2010

My New Skirt - Super Easy!

I’ve always loved to sew. I used to make a lot of my own clothes. But then I became a mom and developed many other new crafting interests, like beading, stamping, scrapbooking, etc. and I just never made enough time for sewing. Every year, I made my son a Halloween costume and was reminded how much I liked to sew. But that was about it.

When I was finishing up my baseball tee shirt quilt several weeks ago, I went to JoAnn’s to look for fabric for the quilt binding. While there, I found a fabric I fell in love with. I had to have this fabric! It was a patchwork fabric. It didn’t just look like patchwork, it was made from squares of several different fabrics that had been sewn together. It was rather pricey, but with my 50% coupon, became much more reasonable. I love pink, and this fabric was mostly pink, blue and green. Here’s a picture of my wonderful fabric.
Patchwork fabric
“Skirt” jumped to mind when I saw this fabric, so then I had to go search the pattern books to figure out what to make with it and how much to buy. I found this great Butterick pattern. Butterick pattern
I decided I wanted to make view C, the one in the center of the pattern envelope picture. This really was a very simple pattern. Two pattern pieces – cut two pieces on the fold for the front and back. Cut three pieces on the fold for the ruffle. That’s it. Stitch the side seams of the skirt. Stitch the three ruffle sections together. Narrow hem the ruffle, gather the top of the ruffle, attach the ruffle to the skirt, make the casing for the elastic at the waistline, insert the elastic, stitch the elastic together, finish the casing. That’s all.

I started making the skirt Friday night. Sewed a little bit this afternoon and finished the skirt tonight. Ready to wear to church tomorrow! Very easy.
Here’s a picture of my finished skirt. My finished skirt

Come back tomorrow to see some sewing hints regarding how to make a skirt like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment