Home My Etsy Shop

Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Dip

Still looking for a great dip for Halloween? Give this one a try. I made it this morning. (Day off work!)

I bought a book called
Hungry Halloween that contains some great recipes. I had decided to make the dip called Portrait of a Monster. I must admit, I selected this recipe based on the looks of the finished product. It's got a layer of artichoke dip and a layer of spinach dip. I like both of those, but I cannot look at a recipe and tell if it's going to taste good when it's finished or not. But both of these dips are great! So while I selected this based on a picture, I would make these dips again anytime!

The dips are layered in a 9X13 pan, then crushed blue tortilla chips are sprinkled on top to create a portrait of Frankenstein. While the template for the crumbs is in the back of the book and can be enlarged, a full size, ready-to-print template is on the
Hungry Halloween web site. I discovered that this entire recipe, along with others in the book, is on the web site.

Last night, I printed the template. While they wanted me to create this template on plastic stencil material, I couldn't easily find the stencil plastic that I own and have stored somewhere or other, and it was too late to go to the store, so I cut out my template using a piece of heavy paper. This worked fine.

I made my artichoke dip and spread it in my pan. Then I made my spinach dip. I gently laid the template over the artichoke dip and made a line around Frank's head with the tip of a paring knife. I put my spinach dip into a gallon freezer bag and cut off a small bit of one corner. I wasn't sure how thick or thin I should apply this second layer, so I outlined the head and started filling in the head rather sparingly. I soon learned that I had plenty of spinach dip so I went back and added more dip to the thinner sections and filled in all empty spots. Since the dip did not look too good at this point, I spread the spinach dip around inside the head outline evenly with a knife. Here's a photo of my dip after I layered the two.
Dip before tortilla crumbs
The next step was to crush the tortilla chips and sprinkle them on the dip using the template. This went much better than I thought it might have. I was careful to gently press the crumbs into the dip so they would stay put. I tried to brush as many crumbs off the template and into the empty slots in the template that were to be filled with crumbs so that when I lifted the template, crumbs did not fall into all the spots that were to remain crumbless. I discovered that my ears and neck bolts did not line up too well, so I just applied a few crumbs to those areas after I removed the template. All in all, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out!
Finished Dip

No comments:

Post a Comment