Home My Etsy Shop

Friday, October 22, 2010

My Most Memorable Halloween Costume

“Halloween is just around the corner. What is the best Halloween costume you've ever worn or designed for someone else to wear? What made it so special?”

This is the question I chose to answer for the EtsyBloggers’ October blog carnival. My favorite costume I ever made was a very cute pumpkin costume that I made for my son’s first Halloween when he was not quite a year old. I could only find a blurry photo and frankly, there’s not much story behind that costume.

So I’m changing the topic slightly. Here is my most memorable Halloween costume.

I made this Power Ranger costume when my son was not quite five years old. 1996 Power Ranger costume
We picked out the pattern from the pattern book and the costume was quite complex. If you look closely, you might be able to see that the tops of the sleeves are slightly puffy looking. Parts of the costume had to be padded with batting. In addition to what you see in the photo, there were some shoe covers that hung down over the foot and a head cover/mask. Joe never liked to wear the foot and head covers, although they added to the look significantly. I guess he liked the white sneaker look better.

So there was a lot of work to this costume and some hard deadline of the day care costume party looming ahead of me. I worked full time so the only time I had to sew during the week was in the evenings. The memories of making this costume have stuck with me for some very unique reasons.

My deadline was approaching and I had one evening available where I planned to make a lot of progress. Wouldn’t you know that we had a freak October snow storm in Kansas City that day! It did a lot of damage all over town. The leaves were still on the trees so when that heavy wet snow and freezing rain covered all the leaves, the branches were very heavy. Many trees and branches were broken all around town. And the worst part of the storm for me was when our power went out. No more sewing machine. No more lights. I remember sitting at my dining room table looking for things I could do by hand with my flashlight and candles nearby! It was quite an experience!

The costume did get done on time. All its pieces are still hanging in the back of my closet. It’s a costume making experience I will never forget and I hope I won’t ever repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment