Home My Etsy Shop

Monday, December 6, 2010

New Wire Crochet Bracelet

I've always loved all kinds of craft projects, but lately, I'm not sure what's come over me. Lately, I've been seeing tons of projects that I want to do SOOO badly. I just feel like I MUST make something! Saturday I made my Christmas stocking. And yesterday, I started a bracelet while watching part of the KC Chiefs game on TV.

My January Bead Style magazine arrived in the mail several days ago and I saw a bracelet in it that I knew I had to make. I've always wanted to try wire crochet with beads and this bracelet seemed like the perfect way to give it a try. The best part about this bracelet was that I bought absolutely nothing to make it. I already had everything I needed. I decided on red and white/clear beads since that looked kind of Christmas-y.

The longest part of this project was digging out the beads I wanted to use and stringing them on my 28 gauge wire. I was to string 16 - 22 inches of beads, so I went with 22, but I didn't need nearly that many. I didn't take photos all along the way, but all you do is a chain stitch, slipping one bead up close to the crochet hook before making the next chain. You make a beaded chain that will go around your wrist three times. Then you fold this chain into thirds, into sort of a wide flat 'S' shape, flatten the 'S' and use the tail on each end to hold what is now three strands together, then twist the whole thing together. More or less twists can adjust the size of the bracelet. Here's a picture after I got this far.
Wire crochet bracelet before clasp added
Next I used 20 gauge wire to make the two clasp pieces, one in an 'S' shape and one in a 'C' shape. Clasp
I used the wire ends to wrap around the center of one clasp piece on each end. Trim the excess wire and it's done! Here's the finished bracelet.Finished bracelet
And here's a picture with the clasp closed. Finished bracelet with clasp closed
I think tomorrow will be one of those days when I pick the clothes I wear to match the bracelet I want to wear! I can already tell that I will be making more of these bracelets in different colors. I like the way it looks and it was so simple! I'll need to try a necklace soon also.

No comments:

Post a Comment