Home My Etsy Shop

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cat Quilt Block Pillow

I made a birthday gift - a patchwork pillow - for a cat-loving friend as one of my recent projects. I looked online for a cat quilt block and finally decided on this one. I looked through my fabric stash and found a nice combination of blue and brown prints. I found lace for the ruffle. All I bought to get started was a 12X16 inch pillow form (on sale at JoAnn's!).

Here's a photo of my finished pillow.Cat pillow
And here are close-up photos of each cat.Left cat
Right cat

I made the pillow back using two overlapping pieces of fabric so the pillow form can be removed. When I was finished, I decided the kitties needed collars. I had the little bells, but I bought a roll of trim that kind of resembles jute. It would have been much easier to sew on the trim had I done it before the pillow was completed, but better late than never! Not a bad project considering all I bought was a pillow form and a roll of trim! I've decided I need to look for more projects like this so I can use up some of my fabric scraps. I have way more than I really need!

So...in my abundant spare time (not!), I've decided that I need to make my own seasonal pillows, using up leftover fabric. And while I was walking around the track at the fitness center the other day, a great thought came to me. By making my pillows so that the form can be removed, if I make all my seasonal pillows the same size, I can use the same pillow form and just change the pillow covering! This way, the out-of-season pillows will be much easier to store if I don't have the whole big pillow to put away. Not to mention less expensive if I don't have to buy a pillow form for each pillow. So this project is added to my every growing list of projects! So many projects, so little time...

No comments:

Post a Comment