Home My Etsy Shop

Friday, February 18, 2011

My Newest Books

Last weekend, I was at Costco and I did something I hadn’t done in a long time – I walked through the book section. I love books and I usually purposely avoid the book section of Costco so I don’t take home more books than I need. But last weekend, I decided to live dangerously and walk through that area.

I won’t let myself buy fiction. I’d rather check it out from the library and give it back rather than have it taking up my shelf space. But I’m a sucker for certain kinds of non-fiction. On this last trip, I found two books that I decided I must own. I got some money for Christmas that I hadn’t spent yet. I was waiting for the right thing to come along, so I bought myself a couple Christmas gifts. I love them both! Two new Martha Stewart books.
Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts
This was the first book that I looked through after I got them home. Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts. Now that I've gotten into making pillows recently, I've decided I want to start using up more of my fabric scraps. Plenty of great ideas in here for that! The book includes very clear instructions on basic techniques ranging from how to prepare fabric for sewing to how to batik. Many essential tools are described. And, of course, there are lots of very creative ideas for fabric projects. I love the pin cushions. And very clever rick rack flowers to embellish clothing. Pet toys, upholstery, linens, curtains, quilts...you name it, it's probably in this book. Oh, and I forgot to mention the CD of patterns and templates that comes with the book.

Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts
I loved the fabric book and then I looked through Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts. I was even more enthralled by this book, probably due to the wide range of crafts included. Crafts I've never tried looked so tempting, such as candle making and soap making. I always try to avoid new crafts for as long as possible since I have too many I love to do as it is. But Martha makes these look so enticing! I loved the wirework letters of the alphabet that can serve as paper clips. But they'd make great jewelry, Christmas ornaments or package decorations, too. The origami section includes instructions for a slightly different little gift box than the one my mom showed me how to make. I'm anxious to give that a try. While I'm not especially into paper flowers, the ones in this book are absolutely beautiful! I would never think of a rope craft napkin ring, but they're great.

In the past, I wasn't a huge fan of Martha, but she won me over with all her great Halloween ideas. As time goes on, I see more and more of her clever ideas with great instructions, and I'd definitely have to say I'm now a fan. If you love great craft books, you must take a look at these!

No comments:

Post a Comment