Home My Etsy Shop

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More New Craft Books

If you've read very many of my blog posts, you have probably stumbled across one sometime that has given you the idea I love books. I love to read fiction, but I can live without owning it. I'd rather have it taking up space on the library's shelves, not mine. But craft books are the books I have a hard time not owning. Especially craft books on sale.

Two or three weeks ago, while there was snow on the ground, I was spending some of my Christmas gift money on some new spring clothes at one of my favorite stores, Christopher & Banks. It was in a part of town a little farther from where I live in a shopping center I've only been to once before. There is a Borders book store in this shopping center and, while Borders is not my favorite of book stores, since it was closing, everything was on sale. So after I purchased a few cute pieces of spring clothing, I thought, what harm can it do just to pop in?

I came home with three great new books.
The Beader's BibleThe Beader's Bible by Dorothy Wood has been on my wish list for a while. It covers every basic beading technique you can think of. A great reference, along with directions for many projects so you'll have a way to use those techniques.

Applique
Applique The basics & beyond, by Janet Pittman, gives instructions for different techniques to applique the same quilt shape. There are plenty of patterns, along with finished quilts for lots of ideas. Just looking at the picture on the cover should give you an idea of the different ways one applique design could be used. If you read my recent post about my tulip pillow, you know that I just got my feet wet at doing hand applique. I'd love to try something else someday and this book would be a great inspiration for that.

Crazy QuiltingI've saved the best for last, the one I've already used a lot. Crazy Quilting by J. Marsha Michler is wonderful! It gives different methods of piecing a crazy quilt block, along with 100 embroidery stitches that can be used to embellish your crazy quilting, along with other embellishment techniques. This book was truly a terrific find! I had just started a crazy quilt project and I was scouring the web for sites to give me ideas and instructions. And then I came across this book. Well, I just had to have it! And has it ever come in handy! Come back tomorrow to hear about my first crazy quilting project.

No comments:

Post a Comment